SV Pilgrim - 1979 Morgan 382 - Homeport: Beaufort, NC

Monday, January 19, 2015

Reflectix Insulation the Outer Perimeter of Ice Box Insulation.

 Many “experts” suggest adding a reflective barrier to the outermost layer of ice box insulation will increase the efficiency by reducing radiant heat loss.  Hmm.  Not certain I’m completely sold on the science behind the theory, but who am I to question the experts?

 For under $50, I purchased a 24” X 25’ roll of Reflectix Insulation, roll of 3M Foil Tape, and a can of 3M Super77  spray glue.
Tools and materials for installing the Reflectix Insulation.

I’ve heard of the Reflectix insulation from other boaters who have used it in ice box construction, insulation between the deck and headliner,  insulation on the inside of the hull, and sun screens for ports and hatches.    Think of it as bubble wrap with a reflective coating on both sides.  It cuts easily with scissors or a utility knife.  It is light weight and adheres easily to vertical surfaces with the spray glue.

NOTE: Definitely wear a respirator when using spray glue.  I hate to imagine what that stuff would do if inhaled into a person’s respiratory track.

Installing Reflectix Insulation as the outermost barrier in the ice box.

The 24” wide roll worked well for the interior of the ice box.  If I were to use it for insulation in the cabin top under the headliner (which I am considering), then I think the 36” or 48” width may be more appropriate.

Looking into the ice box opening from the galley.

Lining the interior of the ice box with the reflectix took about 2 to 3 hours.  Once all the surfaces were covered,  I sealed the joints and corners with the foil tape to create a tight seal.  Using the foil tape to seal the corners was definitely the most frustrating component of the install.  I feel that sealing the corners and seams is worth the effort in the ice box, but I do not believe it is worth the time and effort in the headliner.

Next up for the ice box rebuild will be the 1" foam board insulation.

More images and notes from this on-going project as available in the Ice Box Rebuild Photo Album.


No comments:

Post a Comment